Variety is the key to achieving your exercise goals. With such a wide range of activities on offer you are sure to find the right combination to keep you motivated. Our friendly and qualified staff will make you feel welcome and make sure you get the right exercise programme to meet your needs.
Challenge your expectations, set your goals and enjoy the benefits that regular exercise brings with an Active Lifestyle.
- If you are new to exercise, have any medical conditions, injuries or are pregnant, please tell your instructor before you start your activity. If in any doubt, consult your doctor before starting a new activity.
- Wear comfortable clothing and soft flat training-type footwear.
- Arrive on time for your activity as you may be unable to join if you are late and miss the warm up.
- Bring a drink with you to keep hydrated during and after your class – cafe or vending facilities are available at each centre and reusable water bottles can usually be purchased from reception.
- Do not eat immediately before a class – a light snack an hour before will help boost your energy levels and leave you feeling comfortable.
- Use a locker for your personal belongings as bags left on the floor are a hazard and you may be asked to remove them.
Swimming is available at the following centres:
Swimming for fitness or fun provides you with a complete form of exercise. Being supported by the water, it is also low impact and suitable for everyone. Learning to swim also gives you an invaluable life skill which you can use not only to stay fit but also to relax and get more out of your leisure time and holidays.
Each pool has a latest programme of different swimming sessions and lessons for all ages.
Adults can enjoy Aqua Aerobics, lane swimming, ladies only sessions and twilight zone sessions, where we turn the lights down for a relaxing evening swim.
Kids can enjoy fun sessions with our giant pool inflatable’s, our large rafts and floats or take a slide down the flume at Lewes Leisure Centre. You can even hire our facilities for a great Birthday Pool Party.
All our pools offer disabled access, pool hoist, disabled changing and WC facilities.
Swimming Pool Admission Policy
- Children under 4 years must be accompanied in the water by a responsible person (1 responsible person to a maximum of 2 children). Non-swimmers or weak swimmers must wear buoyancy aids and the responsible person must stay in the teaching pool or the shallow end of the Main Pool in water no more than chest deep.
- Children 4-7 years must be accompanied in the water by a responsible person (1 responsible person to a maximum of 3 children). Non-swimmers or weak swimmers must wear buoyancy aids and must stay in the teaching pool or the shallow end of the Main Pool in water no more than chest deep with the responsible person.
- Children under 8 years who want to swim in the deep end of the main pool must be able to complete the competency test outlined below.
- Group Leaders bringing parties of children who are under 8 years must inform the manager before arrival and keep the children in shallow water (within a depth of 1 metre).
- Toddler pants are needed for use in the pools and can be purchased from reception.
A responsible person must be at least 16 years old (or the child’s parent) and be able to complete the competency test outlined below.
Non-swimmers and weak swimmers (whatever your age) must remain within a depth of water not exceeding chest height.
This policy follows nationally recommended guidelines for admissions to public pools.
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Swim 50 meters without stopping
- Be at level 9 or above on our swimming lesson programme
Whatever your health, wellbeing or fitness goals, we can help you achieve them.
All our gyms offer a great range of equipment, fully qualified and knowledgeable instructors, plus a relaxed and friendly atmosphere to workout in.
Our high quality bikes, treadmills, cross trainers, rowing and step machines will give you a full cardiovascular workout that helps strengthen your heart and lungs, increase your energy levels, reduce your stress and improve your body shape.
Our extensive range of resistance equipment will help to tone your muscles and strengthen your legs or upper body. You can also incorporate free weights to increase muscular strength and Fit Balls to improve your core stability and add variety to your workout.
Most importantly of all, remember that our instructors are there to guide and advise you how to get the best out of your workout, achieve any specific goals you may have, and create a balanced exercise programme that will keep you in great shape all-year round.
Get off to an Active Start
Our specially designed Active Start programme gives you three one-to-one sessions with our qualified fitness instructors to make sure you get off to a flying start in those all important early weeks.
You will receive a full induction to show you how to safely use all of our gym equipment and our instructors will explain the benefits of each machine. We will then assess your needs, goals and current fitness levels to create a tailored exercise programme just for YOU.
Over the following few weeks we will check on your progress and give you all the encouragement and motivation you need to keep the regular exercising habit. As part of our ongoing support to members, follow up appointments are recommended every six weeks to review your progress and exercise programme.
- Exercise Classes
Our exercise classes come in all shapes and styles and there is bound to be something that appeals. Whatever your fitness level and whether you exercise regularly or are a complete beginner, our exercise classes offer a great way to get in shape.
Our friendly instructors make our classes a motivating and fun experience, whilst making sure you are working at the right level and pace and learning all the moves and techniques you need.
Classes compliment any gym programme by giving your body a different type of exercise and giving you the added buzz of working out with a group of likeminded friends.
Fast moving classes like Aerobics, Step and Circuits are great for your overall fitness as well as being great calorie burners. Yoga and Pilates will help tone muscles, increase flexibility and improve posture.
We also offer classes specifically designed to help our senior exercisers, ensuring you can maintain a healthy lifestyle by gently toning up muscles, strengthening joints and enhancing mobility if our main programme does not suit.
We are introducing new classes all the time so make sure you get a copy of our latest programme.
- Book your class and pay in advance* as places are limited. You must give at least 24 hours notice to cancel in order to be eligible for a refund.
Classes may be subject to change of time, instructor or cancellation in exceptional circumstances – we will endeavour to keep you informed.
- Active Kids
The Chief Medical Officers’ Guidelines for children and young people (5-18 years), 2011:
- All children and young people should engage in moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity for at least 60 minutes and up to several hours every day.
- Vigorous intensity activities, including those that strengthen muscle and bone, should be incorporated at least three days a week.
- All children and young people should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary (sitting) for extended periods.
Keeping kids entertained and active is a major job. At Wave we offer a truly comprehensive range of fun activities for children from just a few months old through to the end of their teenage years. Helping children to enjoy being active from an early age improves their wellbeing, social skills and learning while getting them interested in activities they can enjoy for years to come.
We have soft play facilities at three centres with supervised sessions for under 8’s. Children can start to enjoy the water at our four pools from the age of five months with one of our Parent & Toddler structured play sessions or from Adult & Child swimming lessons
Our Lewes Leisure Centre, Peacehaven Leisure Centre and Downs Leisure Centre each have soft play facilities for your children to enjoy.
Ocean Adventure, Lewes
A fun-packed soft play area over three levels for children under 8, with interactive sounds and a dedicated area for toddlers. Slide down the sea serpent, squeeze through the Octopus’s tentacles, climb the seaweed bridge, brave the whirlpool rollers, and have fun with the bash bags, fish shapes and ball pit. There is space for you to sit and relax and a refreshment area for drinks and snacks.
|Weekends||9.00am-6.00pm (unless closed for birthday parties)|
Magic Castle, Peacehaven
A two level soft play area for children under 10 (or maximum height 145cm) featuring a climb through spiders web, spiral slide, wedge squeeze, electronic picture panel, ball pool and biff bags. There is a dedicated toddler area and refreshment area for you to sit and relax.
|Monday – Sunday||9am-6pm (unless closed for birthday parties)|
Supervised sessions for under 5’s may also be held in the Magic Castle at certain times, which may restrict access.
Dino’s Soft Play, Seaford
The largest of our indoor play areas is Dino’s Soft Play at the Downs Leisure Centre.
Dino’s has everything your kids need to have fun, including different areas and activities for different age groups. The under 5’s play area is perfect for crawlers and pre-schoolers and our large play system is great for the more adventurous kids.
Ideal for all you can visit on a weekend, pop in after school or for our younger customers, come in during school time when it is a bit quieter.
Dino’s has air conditioning meaning that it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter – ensuring that you have the perfect temperature, whatever the weather.
|Monday||11.30am – 6.00pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am – 6.00pm|
|Wednesday||9.00am – 6.00pm|
|Thursday||9.00am – 6.00pm|
|Friday||9.00am** – 6.00pm|
|Saturday||9.00am – 12.00noon||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Sunday||9.00am – 12.00noon||12.30-2.30pm||3.00-5.00pm|
|** Only half of Dino’s is open|
School Holiday -Session Times
|Monday||CLOSED||11.30 – 2.30pm||3.00 – 6.00pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Wednesday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Thursday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Friday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Saturday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 3.00pm||3.30 – 6.00pm|
|Sunday||9.00am – 12.00pm||12.30 – 2.30pm||3.00 – 5.00pm|
Supervised Under 8’s Sessions
Our Lewes, Peacehaven and Seaford centres offer supervised sessions for under 8’s, allowing you to either relax or enjoy an invigorating workout or exercise class and are available at the following times:
Downs Leisure Centre
Peacehaven Leisure Centre
|Thursday||9.15-11.30am (under 5’s only)|
Lewes Leisure Centre
All supervised children sessions are available on an hourly basis. Advance booking in required.
Why not have your children’s birthday party with Wave this year? We have a great range of facilities available including our soft play centres, swimming pools plus activities including:
- Rollerblading & Roller Disco
- Bouncy castle
- Climbing Wall
- Wii Parties
- Dance Mat Parties
We can also supply a party leader to supervise your party and dedicated space for your party food.
You can self-cater at each of our centres however only the Downs Leisure Centre can offer a fully catered hot or cold party menu.
At Lewes Leisure Centre we can provide a separate party room at a small extra charge for your post-activity party.
We also provide free party invitations!
Our pools also make great kids birthday party venues and there are a number of options to choose from. These include:
- Giant inflatable pool parties
- General pool hire
Contact Us for full details of our parties today! If you know the centre you wish to have your party at you can call them directly.
- Wave Kids Activities
We have a great range of activities and sports available for under 8’s at each of our centres, with an emphasis on fun and learning in a completely save environment. All activities are run and supervised by our fully qualified instructors and some may lead to badges and awards for achievement as your child’s skills develop.
- Short Tennis
- Pre-school trampolining
- Pre-school gymnastics
- First Years parent & toddler
Not all courses are available at all centres, but our Wave Kids and Young Adult Guide has all the details
Make your school holidays fun by joining in with our holiday activity programmes during every half term, Summer, Easter and Christmas. Enjoy your favourite sports, improve your skills or try out something new in a great fun atmosphere.
The most up to date programmes can be found in Programmes & Timetables.
- Racket Sports
We offer a variety of racket sports at Wave Leisure. You can choose from:
- Badminton (Courts available at Downs, Lewes and Peacehaven Leisure Centres)
- Short Tennis (Courts available at Downs, Lewes and Peacehaven Leisure Centres)
- Squash (Both single and double courts available at Peacehaven Leisure Centre)
Active Choice Members – Courts can be booked 10 days in advance direct on this web site using on line booking.
Active Gym, Active Swim & Activate members – Courts can be booked 8 days in advance direct on this web site using on line booking.
The Sauna is only available at Lewes Leisure Centre.
Finish off your workout or activity with a relaxing sauna at Lewes Leisure Centre.
You must be 16 years old or over to use the sauna facilities. You will need to wear a swim costume at all times and bring a towel with you to sit on.
All users are asked to shower before using these facilities and to read our ‘Using Sauna Facilities’ guide on display adjacent to the sauna to make sure it is safe for you to enjoy them.
Tanning is available at the following centres:
Safe tanning is our top priority, and you will be asked to complete a Sunbed Record Card so that we can make sure you are staying within the recommended tanning session guidelines. For your safety, please also note:
- Goggles must be worn at all times during a sunbed session
- Contact lenses make up and traces of fragrances must be removed before your session
- Double sessions are not permitted
- At least 24 hours must be allowed between sunbed sessions
- It is strongly recommended that you do not exceed 20 sunbed sessions per year
- You should not use the sun beds if you are pregnant or are taking PSORALEN
- Stop using the sunbed immediately if you develop any abnormal skin reactions and seek medical advice.
What is a health walk?
A short walk (up to an hour) for all ages, led by our trained Health Walk Leaders. Walks are short, safe and generally on level ground. If you are new to exercise, start slowly and build up gradually. Brisk is best but gentle strolling is a good start – you should be able to chat comfortably.
Warm-up exercises are included to loosen stiff muscles. A qualified first aider will be available during your walk.
Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes and arrive ten minutes before the walk is due to start. We are sorry but we are unable to accept dogs unless they are assistance dogs.
|Monday||2.00pm||Peacehaven Leisure Centre|
|Tuesday||10.00am||Lewes Leisure Centre|
|Thursday||10.30am||Downs Leisure Centre, Seaford*|
* Ist Thursday of every month the walk starts from Seaford & Newhaven Sailing Club (BN25 2QR)
Some of the benefits of walking:
- Walking 2 miles per day can reduce the risk of heart attack by 25%
- Walking for one mile burns exactly the same calories as jogging for one mile – it just takes a little longer
- A brisk one mile walk in 20 minutes burns around 100 calories – as much as swimming for 10 minutes, playing football for 12 minutes and doing aerobics for 16 minutes
- Exercise has shown to improve self esteem, relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety, and give an overall sense of positive well-being
- All our walks offer a great social element as tea and coffee after is included in the price
Exercise Referral Scheme
Our exercise referral scheme operates throughout the Lewes district in conjunction with all the GP surgeries to provide a service where inactive residents with medical conditions whose health would benefit from leading a more active lifestyle, can be referred.
The range of activities available includes gym-based exercise programmes, swimming, health walks and chair based classes.
The scheme is available to individual who qualify who are over the age of 16 years.
The scheme has four key objectives: –
- To support local GP surgeries promotion of physical activity and participation. To reduce sedentary lifestyles and the accompanying overweight and obesity issues, throughout the local community.
- To encourage patients who would benefit from physical activity to use their local leisure centre at a reduced cost in a controlled environment, over a set period of time.
- To empower the patient with the knowledge and confidence to make physical activity sustainable.
- Aiming to establish a healthier lifestyle that is sustainable to combat the underlying causes of ill health.
The scheme can benefit a range of conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, weight loss (and management), mobility, depression and stress.
The GP will identify when a referral is appropriate and issue a referral form. This includes the reason for referral, current medication being taken, the patient’s latest blood pressure reading and the referring doctor’s signature.
This referral form then needs to be taken to your nearest Wave Leisure facility to book an appointment for your introduction session.
Your referral covers twenty sessions over a twelve week period. To gain the maximum benefit you should aim to attend twice a week. The benefits will only remain for as long as you continue to exercise.
Your First Appointment
Your first appointment will act as an introduction to you becoming more physically active and will last for an hour. The Fitness Instructor undertaking this appointment is suitably qualified to do so.
You will fill out a pre-activity questionnaire and discuss your current level of physical activity.
At this point you will have the opportunity to ask any questions or concerns you have in relation to exercise.
All this information allows the Fitness Instructor to design an exercise programme appropriate to your needs.
Instruction will be given on how to perform any exercises and how to use the machines/equipment appropriately.
Following your introduction session you can continue to use the facility on your own beyond your appointment time and return to exercise on subsequent visits without booking an appointment.
If at any point you have further questions or queries relating to your exercise programme the fitness instructor can advise accordingly.
After the first six weeks following your induction a progress review appointment will be completed to assess how everything is going and allows the fitness instructor to make any changes to your programme.
At the end of your twelve weeks of exercise another progress review appointment is undertaken. This will help to establish the way forward following your referral and identify the best options in the respect of your continued physical activity.
Following your successful completion of twenty visits you will be given a free Activate card (currently costs £10) which allows you to receive 10% of the cost of our pay as you go activities across our centres and discounts & offers with our commercial partners or you may wish to discuss all our membership options with one of our Membership Sales Advisors. The fitness instructor can book an appointment for you to discuss these options.