The Health Improvement Practitioner would provide advice, information, guidance and introductions to physical activity, across Eastbourne and Lewes District, with set areas being developed as part of developing work programme. Through the provision of remote services, physical activity prescriptions and small group work, the priority target group will be those with a diagnosed health conditions and supporting engagement with those from specialised populations to gain, regain or maintain physical activity for an identified health outcome.
A focus will be to support the development of personalised health improvement pathways into activity. Working from a point of initial contact, onwards into appropriate activity, with points of review to enable sustained participation to enable health goals for an individual to be achieved.
Engaging with fitness teams, across Wave sites, the post holder will need to support and advise on the creation and delivery of appropriate physical activity programs, for identified health goals, which are supportive of a range of diagnosed health conditions.
Delivery will not be age restricted, but inclusive of young people, families, adults, and older people, to enable wider access to expertise to support those with a health condition to make health improvements.
This post requires an enhanced DBS check and completion of safeguarding certification.
- Level 3 exercise referral
- Health Condition Based Certification Level 3 or above (e.g. OTAGO, Chair Based, Postural Stability Instruction, Cardiac Rehab, Cancer Rehab or similar
- Proven working experience in sports/leisure/fitness environment with an emphasis on health and physical activity
- Proven experience of working with specialised populations
- Good proven knowledge and understanding of physical activity and health improvement structures and initiatives
- Thorough working knowledge of the health benefits of physical activity, in relation to primary and secondary prevention of medical conditions, to include weight management principles, exercise and implications
- Knowledge of Exercise Referral schemes
- General knowledge of the determinants of health and health improvement principles
- Ability to play/coach multiple sports and activities to a good level
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to work unsupervised
- Good IT knowledge and excellent organisational skill
- Highly motivated and with the ability to motivate and enthuse others
- A flexible approach to working hours
- A commitment to providing equal opportunities
- Current valid driving license and use of vehicle